Free cultural event takes place this weekend at Potters Fields Park, London SE1 2AA
On the weekend of 12 – 13 September 2015, a free festival will see Potters Fields Park on London’s South Bank transformed into a vibrant celebration of Vietnamese culture, cuisine and crafts. Organised by the Embassy of Viet Nam and sponsored by national carrier Vietnam Airlines, Quang Ninh Province, and Buffalo Tours and Hai Au Aviation (part of the Thien Minh Group), the Viet Nam Discovery Festival will showcase the beauty, warmth and charm of this dynamic country. The festival will begin at 11.30am on Saturday 12 September with a dazzling opening ceremony featuring dance performances, traditional and contemporary music and an Áo dài fashion show.
Photo/filming opportunities at the opening ceremony include:
- Traditional and contemporary Vietnamese dance performances
- A fashion show of colourful Vietnamese Áo dài
- Musical performances featuring unique and unusual Vietnamese folk instruments
- A rare traditional Vietnamese water puppet theatre show
- A Cube Space where festival goers can go on a ‘virtual visit’ to Vietnam
- Pop-up food stalls serving Vietnamese dishes including phở bò (beef noodles) and bánh mỳ kẹp thịt (Vietnamese sandwiches)
- A ‘Gems of Viet Nam’ art exhibition curated by Hanoi Art House with traditional lacquer, oil, silk and Dzó paper paintings by famous Vietnamese artists.
- Arts and crafts stalls selling Vietnamese souvenirs like brocades, traditional painted bamboo theatre masks and handmade conical hats
- Festival goers trying on Vietnamese national costume or having a go at Vietnam’s answer to Morris dancing – nhảy sạp, a traditional folk dance using bamboo sticks!
The Viet Nam Discovery Festival is free to enter, and will be open to the public from 11.30am – 7pm on Saturday and 11.30am – 5pm on Sunday.
For further information, follow the festival on Facebook www.facebook.com/discovervietnam or visit www.vietnamdiscovery.co.uk. For further information on the Viet Nam Economic Forum visit www.vietnamdiscovery.co.uk/vietnameconomicforum; and for further information on the Viet Nam – UK Education Cooperation Forum visit www.vietnamdiscovery.co.uk/vietnameducationforum.
– Ends –
Notes to editors:
The Viet Nam Discovery festival is part of a series of political, economic and cultural activities arranged by the Embassy of Vietnam to mark the five year anniversary of the Strategic Partnership between Viet Nam and the UK. Prior to the festival itself, these will include the Viet Nam Economic Forum on 10 September and the Viet Nam – UK Education Cooperation Forum on 11 September, both of which will be held at the prestigious Central Hall Westminster in London.
National flag carrier, Vietnam Airlines offers the UK’s only nonstop flights to Vietnam, with five per week from Heathrow to Hanoi or Saigon – rising to daily following the introduction of B787-9 Dreamliners this September. Featuring in-flight WiFi, fully flat beds in Business Class and new branding, the new aircraft will firmly establish Vietnam Airlines as the leading carrier for the Indochina region. Located in the north east of Vietnam, Quang Ninh Province is renowned for its stunning natural landscapes, including the towering limestone islands of the UNESCO World Heritage site Ha Long Bay, and the mountainous Cát Bà National Park. Thien Minh Group is one of South East Asia’s leading integrated travel and hospitality groups, bringing approximately 90,000 tourists to the region each year.
For further press information and high-res images please contact:
Zoe Slater or Nat Frogley
Bacall Associates, 63 Catherine Place, London, SW1E 6DY